King's Heath - wonderful history & heritage

Here we explore the wonderful history and heritage of Kings Heath, a neighbourhood only a few miles from the centre of Birmingham. Go back in time with us and be amazed!

After the Norman Conquest, King’s Norton, Moseley and King’s Heath were all in the Royal Manor and parish of Bromsgrove hence the name, the King’s Heath. By the 13th century, King’s Norton had become a separate Royal Manor and a virtually independent parish.

King’s Heath was originally part of King’s Norton, becoming a separate parish in 1863. When Birmingham extended its boundaries in 1911 it took both parishes in as part of the Greater Birmingham Scheme.

The Hare and Hounds

The Hare and Hounds is the second oldest pub in the centre of Kings Heath.

Photo by Christine Wright

The Park house, Kings Heath Park

The house in Kings Heath Park was built in 1832 for the newly elected left the house in 1835 and over the next few years there were a number of occupiers.

In 1880 the house was bought by John Cartland, a wealthy brass founder and ancestor of novelist Dame Barbara Cartland. John Cartland transferred the property to his four sons who let it on a 21 year lease to Fredrick Everitt, who owned Kings Heath Brewery in Grange Road.

Photo by Christine Wright

The church of All Saints

The church of All Saints was consecrated in July 1860 as a daughter church of St Mary Moseley. It was considerably smaller than the present building but designed in such a way that it could be enlarged at a later date. The church accommodated 430 people and 150 of those sittings were rented. Some of the present pews are still numbered for that reason.

The services were administered by Revd R J Villiers curate of St Mary but in January 1863 Kings Heath became a parish in its own right and Revd R J Villiers was appointed the first vicar. In 1866 a spire was added as a gift from the Misses Anderton of Moseley and in 1870 a vicarage was built.

Photo by Christine Wright

Highbury Hall 

Highbury Hall was built as the home of Joseph Chamberlain between 1878 and 1879. The architect was John Henry Chamberlain (who was of no relation).  Chamberlain moved in during 1880 and lived here until his death in 1914. It took it's name from the Highbury area of London where he lived as a child. The house is now a Grade II* listed building, and now run by the Chamberlain Highbury Trust (who took over from Birmingham City Council).  The Birmingham Civic Society unveiled a blue plaque for Joseph Chamberlain in 1990. The Highbury Estate later became a park, opening as Highbury Park in 1930. More recently, as of 2021, the Chamberlain Highbury Trust has been working to restore the grand old hall, as well as the paths leading to it from the park, and the views of the hall from the park.

Photo by Daniel Sturley

Project dates

17 Sep 2018 - On-going


History & heritage


Your Place Your Space

Jonathan Bostock

0121 410 5520